Who are we?
The Ryerson Students’ Union represents over 40,000 full-time undergraduate and graduate students at Ryerson University, in downtown Toronto. As the central students’ union on campus, the RSU works to build campus life, advocate on behalf of its members, organize campaigns and initiatives, provide cost-saving services, and work with students across the province and country for a more affordable and accessible post-secondary education system. For more information on the Ryerson Students’ Union, please check out our website at www.rsuonline.ca.
The Ryerson Students’ Union is an independently incorporated and autonomous from Ryerson University. The Students’ Union is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from diverse communities, including: Indigenous peoples, persons of colour, persons with disabilities, members of the queer community, Transgender people and women.
(Maternity Leave – 12 Months contract)
We are looking for an experienced Financial Controller to undertake all aspects of ﬁnancial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and ﬁnancial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as maintenance of internal control policies and procedures. This position will report directly to the Executive Director and Executives of the Ryerson Students’ Union (“RSU”).
The RSU is a not-for-proﬁt student association representing undergraduate and graduate students of Ryerson University in downtown Toronto, Ontario. The RSU represents approximately 40,000 students, and provides a number of on-campus services. The RSU is governed by an elected Board of Directors who delegates day- to-day oversight and direction to an elected six-member Executive. The RSU has approximately 15 full-time staff.
The Executive Director is the RSU’s top permanent manager. The Financial Controller will be the next highest management employee, and will be responsible for operational decisions in the ED’s absence. The successful applicant will be creative, self-starting and entrepreneurial and assist the RSU in building basic ﬁnancial management processes and modernizing the RSU.
Salary: $50,000-$60,000, depending on experience and qualiﬁcations
Start Date: ASAP
- Manage the production of a multi million dollar budget and forecasts
- Manage the ﬁnance coordinator and any other employees as assigned for time to time
- Manage all other employees in the absence of the Executive Director
- Make operational and ﬁnancial management decisions in the absence of the Executive Director, or as otherwise delegated
- Exercise ﬁnal human resources and labour relations authority in the absence of the Executive Director, including hiring, discipline, dismissal, recruitment, staff relations, attendance, and regulatory compliance
- Provide ﬁnancial analysis and forecasting in the conduct of labour relations, including in the consideration of collective bargaining proposals, grievance arbitration, and ongoing labour-management relations on behalf of the RSU
- Forecast and manage wage increases, employee beneﬁt costs, and other payroll matters
- Prepare documentation and ﬁnancial information for hiring, lay-offs, terminations, ROEs, WSIB claims, and beneﬁt plan administration
- Manage payroll and adjustments for vacation pay, absences, and overtime
- Assess current practices and technology and recommend upgrades
- Manage all accounting operations including A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and ﬁnancial forecasts and report variances
- Prepare and publish timely monthly ﬁnancial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Facilitate month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure quality control over ﬁnancial transactions and ﬁnancial reporting
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Assist Executives with day-today operations and other duties
Education, Experience and Skills
- Three or four year undergraduate degree in accounting, business, ﬁnance or management or comparable work experience required
- Proven working experience as a Controller or similar position
- Experience as management or accountant in a unionized workplace is an asset
- Chartered Professional Accountancy (CPA) preferred
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with creating ﬁnancial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process and Payroll
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
- Familiar with Sage 300, Power pay, Dayforce, Point of Sale System
Salary & Beneﬁts
- Annual salary will be based on qualiﬁcations and experience, and will be subject to an annual review
- Competitive employee health and dental plan with personal or family coverage for medical, dental, vision, drug costs, extended health beneﬁts, ADD and life insurance
- The RSU offers a collegial, challenging and rewarding working environment
- The RSU places an emphasis on providing opportunities for personal and professional growth Employment subject to a three (3) month probationary period
Interested applicants are encourage to submit their cover letter and resume
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject please put “Application for Financial Controller”.
Ryerson Students' Union
55 Gould Street, Student Centre
SCC 311, Toronto, ON, M5B 1E9
▼ Download Posting
back to top