Pardon of Criminal Convicton

If you have an adult criminal record, there are certain careers for which you are ineligible, especially those involving law, medicine or money. There are also certain countries that you would not be permitted to enter.

A record under the Young Offenders Act is generally erased automatically.
However, the federal government also offers a method by which adult criminal convictions can be removed from your record, thereby eliminating your record altogether if no convictions remain. This method is the pardon.

A pardon may be applied for if three years have passed since you fulfilled your sentence for a summary conviction offence, or five years have passed since you fulfilled your sentence for an indictable offence. Take note that a sentence may involve such things as probation or community service, and the sentence is not fulfilled until those requirements are met, even if you never go to jail.

To apply for a pardon, you must obtain and complete an application form. The form may be obtained from the National Parole Board by calling 1-800-874-2652 or attending a regional office of the Board, or from some provincial courts and police stations. The Board decides whether or not to grant your application, after completing an investigation.

If a pardon is given, no one can ever know about the pardoned conviction except by making a special request, which is granted only in exceptional circumstances. However, if you commit a further criminal offence or are found to have lied on the pardon application, the pardon may be revoked.

To speak to the lawyer students must make an appointment, come to the RSU's main office in the Student Centre - SCC311, third floor or call 416.979.5255 ext. 2325 

Contact: RSU main office | (416) 979-5255 ext. 2325